SerpentorsLair.info - View topic - Get the skinny on "Bumblebee"

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:21 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
Get the skinny on "Bumblebee" 
Editorial Moderator
Editorial Moderator

Faction: neutral
Code Name: classified
File Name: classified
Aliases: skinnyjoefan
Primary Military Specialty: classified
Secondary Military Specialty: classified
 Get the skinny on "Bumblebee"
Bumblebee

This directorial take by Travis Knight is vastly different than the Michael Bay films.

Gone are the crude humor, the slow motion jiggle shots, and the explosion a second style of Bay.

What we do have is a human interest story and that is what is most likely appealing to audiences right now.

The story is similar to Sam Witwicky’s and also Cade yeager in that we find a human thrust into an adventure when they discover a car that is more than meets the eye.

Charlie played by Hailee Steinfeld, though is the teen who does not fit in.
She is bullied by the popular girls, and the guy she is mildly attracted to barely knows she exists. She is pursued by her “nerdy” neighbor who winds up tagging along for a wild ride. She is still dealing with the death of her father and a mother who is trying too hard.
Bumblebee and Charlie develop a friendship as she takes care of him and protects him until inevitably the Decepticons, teamed with Sector Seven, find him.

Burns, in charge of a Sector Seven unit, is played by John Cena. Cena who is usually a “hero” in his pro wrestling career, struggles here to play a villain. I don’t think it is in his persona. Towards the end he does a little better.

What can you expect from the look of 1987? Period technology and alt mode designs that the fans believed should have been around since the beginning with the first Transformers movie.
The style mixes the “Bayverse” and “Generation One “ designs. We also get an eighties infused Soundtrack include Stan Bush's "The Touch"
Bumblebee takes place in 1987. They did a fairly good job of representing the era. Prominent things you will see are mentions of Alf, The Breakfast Club, and Miami Vice. I have seen comparisons to E.T. and on a very basic level, you might see that. the basic premise is an alien on the run from the Government helped by a kid who is having a tough time in their life. That is about it however.

The majority of the movie is about Charlie forming a bond with Bee and growing emotionally.
Charlie is dealing with the death of her father while everyone else has moved on. She has not reached that point.

If you are looking for a feel good movie, this is your movie. As always, the humans take center stage in the Transformer cinematic universe.
I imagine the producers and writers think that is the only way we can relate to giant robots.
I say that the giant robots have always had human personalities and that we could have a film without a single human actor in a lead role. That would be a nice change.
Blitzwing makes an early appearance in the film and sets up the reason for Burns gettting his scar.
The main decepticons are played by Angela Bassett as Shatter, and Justin Theroux as Dropkick. I would have liked to have seen more of them.

Liked it, didn’t love it.

Sun Dec 23, 2018 5:50 pm
Profile Send private message
Founder
Founder

Faction: Justice League
Code Name: Man of Steel
Post Re: Get the skinny on "Bumblebee"
Definitely going to give this a shot, with Michael Bay gone, who knows i may love this.

Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:05 am
Editoral Moderator
Editoral Moderator

Faction: Cobra Contractor
Code Name: YorktownJoe
File Name: CLASSIFIED
Aliases: YTJ (more acronym than alias)
Primary Military Specialty: Counter-Intelligence
Secondary Military Specialty: Sense o' humor
Grade: O-4
Post Re: Get the skinny on "Bumblebee"
Maybe!

I'm rewatching Season 1 from 1984. It is hard to top that Johnny Douglas music in the background. Feels like being a kid. Of course I'm old now and might doze off sitting still on the couch like that...

Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:12 am
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]