SerpentorsLair.info - View topic - G.I. Joe Snake Eyes Director talks in progress

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:33 pm

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
G.I. Joe Snake Eyes Director talks in progress 
Editorial Moderator
Editorial Moderator

Faction: neutral
Code Name: classified
File Name: classified
Aliases: skinnyjoefan
Primary Military Specialty: classified
Secondary Military Specialty: classified
 G.I. Joe Snake Eyes Director talks in progress
Today The Hollywood Reporter announced that Robert Schwentke has been selected to possibly be the director for the movie simply called G.I. Joe Snake Eyes.

Schwentke has directed such films as Allegiant, Insurgent a part of the Divergent series, R.I.P.D., RED (starring G.I.Joe alumnus Bruce Willis who played Joe Colton) and FlightPlan.

His most recent film is one that is not very well known, called The Captain a black and white World War 2 movie. It is available to rent on Youtube and Amazon

With very little being known about the Snake Eyes movie such as the writer Evan Spiliotopoulos along with just a basic idea of what it may be about, news of a director being announced is a good sign that things are indeed moving forward.

Combined with the announcement today by Brian Goldner about Hasbro's focus for 2018 and beyond, a Joe movie is looking more and more likely.

Certainly the Bumblebee movie's performance will weigh heavily on any decisions made by Paramount to a solo character G.I.Joe story.

Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:21 pm
Profile Send private message
Founder
Founder

Faction: Justice League
Code Name: Man of Steel
Post Re: G.I. Joe Snake Eyes Director talks in progress
This is exciting news. My biggest worry about the 'Snake Eyes' movie is that he will be talking through the whole thing, or, they will totally deep six his Larry Hama origin. I am keeping my fingers crossed that neither of those things happens.

And as someone who thinks most of the Transformers movies are not watchable, i am actually planning on seeing the Bumblebee movie. They are making changes that the fans have been asking for years to see, and i think its going to payoff at the box office.

Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:01 pm
Editorial Moderator
Editorial Moderator

Faction: neutral
Code Name: classified
File Name: classified
Aliases: skinnyjoefan
Primary Military Specialty: classified
Secondary Military Specialty: classified
⚡ Kal-El ⚡ wrote:
This is exciting news. My biggest worry about the 'Snake Eyes' movie is that he will be talking through the whole thing, or, they will totally deep six his Larry Hama origin. I am keeping my fingers crossed that neither of those things happens.

And as someone who thinks most of the Transformers movies are not watchable, i am actually planning on seeing the Bumblebee movie. They are making changes that the fans have been asking for years to see, and i think its going to payoff at the box office.

Snake Eyes didn't lose the ability to speak until he rescued Scarlett.
However it has been stated that he was the silent type long before that happened.
Paramount has had no love for the source material before. Perhaps if we see some of that in Bumblebee and it is successful they will change their minds.
Also I would not get too excited about Bumblebee being G1, That is a flashback scene, most likely that we will see for a minute at most in a radio transmission hologram similar to Princess Leia as Luke watches her cry for help. ( At least that is my interpretation)
The whole movie will not be like that. We will see time accurate alt modes most certainly like Blitzwing as an F4 (instead of a MiG 25).
However I doubt we will see much of the other bots on screen for any length of time.

Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:46 pm
Founder
Founder

If they do an origin type story and ending it up with the accident, without making some kind of stupid political statement with it, i might enjoy it. Im not so anal that i demand it be just like the source material, all i have ever wanted with the G.I.Joe movies is something along the lines of 'Captain America: The First Avenger'. Why Paramount and Hasbro can't follow that model just blows my mind.

I hope your wrong about the Bumblebee movie, im want to hold on to my fantasy that it will be really good as long as i can.

Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:46 am
Editoral Moderator
Editoral Moderator

Faction: GIJOE
Code Name: yorktownjoe
File Name: Joe K.
Primary Military Specialty: Counter-Intelligence
Secondary Military Specialty: Sense o' humor
Grade: O-4
I haven't watched any of the Transformers movies (other than the 80's cartoon one).

The Bumblebee movie looks interesting, and the rumors that the John Cena character might crossover to bring GI Joe into it from a side angle is intriguing. I might wait for a spoiler free thumbs up or down form the rest of you cinema savvy folks.

As for the Snake-Eyes movie, they seriously need to just bring skinny in as a consultant. I mean, c'mon man!!?
Is there anyone who could preserve a Larry Hama homage to the original?

As for the talking, Hama told the story by giving 3rd person accounts from the perspective of Hawk, Stalker and Scarlett, eventually culminating with Storm Shadow.
He never spoke a word, but the readers were able to follow the story.

Then again, the world was not the same then as it is now. People had the attention span to read, and the imagination to consider "what if?" With virtual reality, 4K HD, and realistic video games, very few people read prolifically, and even fewer possess imagination.

Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:50 pm
Editoral Moderator
Editoral Moderator

I would start the movie with the sound of the rotors alternating with the sounds of heartbeats. Go right to the exploding helicopter crash in the first 5 minutes.

Possibly have something about a hostage rescue mission in 1979, desert between Iraq and Iran, etc., so the viewers have perspective of the situation.

The struggle to get Scarlett's web gear free, the explosion, the helos crashing, and Snake-Eyes hauling her to safety even with his head still smoldering.

I would prefer it not to reverse the roles and have her haul him out of the helo, b/c it's 2018 and we should be able to time travel to the 70's and apply the strong female heroine mantras onto situations. Situations that might not have had a female lead if it were not for the forward thinking Larry Hama in the first place. Keep political and gender battles out of the movie altogether. Heroes and heroines can work together. They don't need to force political mumbo jumbo in a good story.

Then put let the lower screen titles tell us "Ten years earlier, two weeks earlier, Three years after the crash, etc." You could have him say some words if needed, or you could have whichever narrator fill in the gaps depending on the scene. Does anyone ever give Ray Park more than a handful of lines??? He might be happy to not have to wear a mask for an entire movie. Or if the director goes another direction, they could use Ray for some stuff, and a different actor for flashback sequences.

Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:34 pm
Editoral Moderator
Editoral Moderator

I'd be happy to write the whole movie if it is too much trouble to get skinny or Hama to consult. I'm not AWFUL at setting up scenes...
;-)

Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:35 pm
Founder
Founder

Faction: Gi Joe
Code Name: Protoxero
File Name: Unknowen
Aliases: Proto
Primary Military Specialty: Ninja
Secondary Military Specialty: Covert Opps
Grade: 0-4
I would love this If it's done right and good. ROC and RET sucked and in each there own special way, If this does well joe will come back if not its dead. It's sad it has to be that way now, we still have bad blood with those movies. I don't have huge stock in this that it will be good. It's probably not possible for Hollywood to make a true real good joe movie. There political correctness BS makes them fail with Joe every time.

Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:39 pm
Founder
Founder

yorktownjoe wrote:
I'd be happy to write the whole movie if it is too much trouble to get skinny or Hama to consult. I'm not AWFUL at setting up scenes...
;-)

I am holding out hope that they actually cast Ray Park again and keep him a white American Male. I still have worries they might make him a female of chinese or hispanic origin. I keep hoping that somehow we get a movie that doesn't put the final nail in the coffin of the brand.

Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:53 pm
Editoral Moderator
Editoral Moderator

protoxero wrote:
I would love this If it's done right and good. ROC and RET sucked and in each there own special way, If this does well joe will come back if not its dead. It's sad it has to be that way now, we still have bad blood with those movies. I don't have huge stock in this that it will be good. It's probably not possible for Hollywood to make a true real good joe movie. There political correctness BS makes them fail with Joe every time.

And only a fool would be unaware that fans pay for their products.

They should run a focus group with these items on the "buffet" to choose from:

Action
Adventure
Bravery/Courage
Self-Sacrifice
Hard work and training to achieve noble goals
Hard work and training to overcome an injury and succeed through strength of will and encouragement of team members
Humor
Romance

Similarities to comic canon (only minor creative divergence from comic canon - Example Zartan kills hard Master with crossbow instead of compound bow)
Similarities to Sunbow cartoon canon (major characters escape death through fast action and safety features)
Divergence from comic canon (major creative divergence from comic canon - Snake Eyes is minority woman instead of a white male)
Divergance from Sunbow cartoon canon (characters are routinely killed whether it helps or hurts the story for shock value at the whim of the director)

Near Science fiction (on the edge of what may soon be possible: like lasers, fighter jets that can achieve low orbit, and satellite weaponry)
Far Science fiction (light speed space ships, transforming sentient robots, time travel, aliens)

Violence (gun battles, sword fights, etc.)
Medium Violence (people killed, but much of it is implied, without spatter)
Gratuitous Violence (beheadings, disembowelment, body parts turning to mist)

Pushing Progressive Agenda that might distract from the story
Pushing Progressive Agenda that offends fans and hinders the story
Pushing Progressive Agenda to challenge the hegemony because we think you should think how we think (even though our directors are all Harvey Weinstein in their own ways)

Have the focus group rate these items on a scale from -10 to +10, with +10 being awesome and -10 meaning you will avoid it and rant against it online.
Create focus groups from the actual fan base all over the country. populate it heavily with people who read comics and watched cartoons in the 1980's.
Avoid generic focus groups of random unemployed millenials that you happen upon using their parent's credit card in a California Starbucks.

I wonder if you can tell where I fall on a worldview spectrum by how I phrased this post. ;-)

Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:36 pm
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next