SerpentorsLair.info - View topic - Get the Skinny on "Solo a Star Wars Story"

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:42 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Get the Skinny on "Solo a Star Wars Story" 
Editorial Moderator
Editorial Moderator

Faction: neutral
Code Name: classified
File Name: classified
Aliases: skinnyjoefan
Primary Military Specialty: classified
Secondary Military Specialty: classified
 Get the Skinny on "Solo a Star Wars Story"
Spoilers ahead
Han my boy...
Han Solo.
It is a name that that has been said by many.
Maz Kanata said his name best I think. With jubilation and a bit of anger.

We need a Maz and Chewie, the love story, spinoff.

This movie could have had a story told a couple different ways.
It could have been a story about Han and Chewie after they met, on some adventure.
It could have been a story about Han and Chewie before they met, a little origin story.

Overall it is a good story, Han and his girl, (yes I said that) Han faces some tribulations and then Han, well Han acts like Han.

There are going to be those who get on the anti SJW wagon here and start on their soapbox tirades.
I can see things from a certain point of view, but I also see things as an evolution.
Let us break things down just for that crowd before we move on.

Han Qi’Ra
Chewie Val
Lando L-3-37
Tobias Enfys
Dryden Vos Lady Proxima
Rio

All in all it is a pretty balanced cast.
Yes there is balance in the force… I mean balance in the galaxy.
Han is not, overshadowed by Qi’Ra, in any respect.
They work together as a team throughout the film.

I would put this on a par with Rogue One as far as execution and storytelling. As well it should with Ron Howard at the helm.

Where this movie does fail is all the nods and homages, it is a soup bowl full of Easter Eggs.
It has too many for my tastes.
The story gets lost in the homages.
Excuse me, the characters get lost. Plot never really matters in a Star Wars film. It is really about following your favorite characters on an adventure.

We see some neat things outside of the Easter Eggs. One thing is a good old fashioned train robbery scene with a nice science fiction twist.
The whole movie also has a very western type feel to it. Han is a cowboy after all.

The homages really kept pulling me out of the story. There were too many nods to films past and current. Sometimes it is nice and sometimes it is not so nice.

Nice:
Seeing Han fire up the Falcon for the first time.
Not so nice:
The surprise at the end of the film.

There is a story element that is pretty tired for me. In fact I trust you will be bored with it as well. (that’s a hint for those of you who saw the film already) It is a James Bondian thing.

It was Ok and expected that Clint Howard makes his appearance since this is a Ron Howard film. It does go on a bit long though.

Ehrenreich does a nice job as a young Han, This really is a difficult thing to do. You can try to impersonate Harrison Ford, or you can pick up on his mannerisms and quirks and add them to your own. Han is still young here and as such there is some leeway for interpretation. Then again we would like to think things change and we evolve as we grow older, but really we do not. Han should be Han at age twenty and pretty similar at age thirty and sixty.

Saving grace?
No force flying Leias. there were no real groan inducing moments. the major flaw was just too many little cute things that diehard fans will get overwhelmed by.
I could have done without so many for one simple reason. It was a bit far fetched for all these Han iconic things to happen on one mission. I did like that he was an Imperial, and not a very good one at following orders for three years. that helped the believability a little.
It was just too much of pieces of Han crammed into one mission.

Emilia Clarke was phenomenal as a new character that I really enjoyed. The great thing about her was she and Han worked together and neither ate up each other’s scenes.
She is a badass because of unfortunate circumstances.

Enfys Nest made for a good villain as well. Another badass.

There is a nice gathering of various aliens on board the yacht. Star Wars needs at least one bar scene with innovative character designs.

Joonas Soutamo, well he is Chewie, through and through. He has this character down now after three movies.

Donald Glover. He also is Lando. Smarmy smuggling gambler type. In his first scene I would have thought that Billy Dee did ADR. Seriously.

I think the thing that most that are going to balk at, those who ant to balk, is L3-37, She is well voiced, and a nice K2S0 spicy type of droid. Played by Phoebe Waller Bridge, her character is used to present some story elements that some might construe as hidden agendas or messages.
Look, Science Fiction has always been used to do this, sometimes successfully and unnoticeably, sometimes it is like a hammer on the back of the head. I think that her character was slightly, but not overly leaning in that direction. This has been used time and time again since the birth of science fiction.
Frankenstein, was also about society, that was the true thing that made it resonate with people. Frankenstein was asking the question, should people try to play God. The Twilight Zone presented themes that were controversial but disguised them so well that we were just entertained. Where else could you get away with a show like “Eye of the Beholder”?

The sad thing about Solo for me was that prior to seeing it, I was not allowed to just watch a Star Wars movie. The internet had already prejudged it loudly and said it was an SJW movie. So what happens then? Your brain starts to purposefully look for these things. Whether you want to or not.

I give it a solid C, mainly because it tried to be too cutesy and explain everything about Han becoming Han that we know and love it one short span of time. It takes a lot longer to become the people we are and we don’t stop doing that until we are no more.
See it but try to see it openly and not with the tainted perceptions formed by internet gossip.

Sat May 26, 2018 4:57 pm
Profile Send private message
Sneak Peek Photographer
Sneak Peek Photographer

Faction: Red Shadows
Code Name: T'shot
File Name: ????.?????.?
Primary Military Specialty: Photo Reconnaissance
Secondary Military Specialty: Toy Surveillance
Grade: E-2
Post Re: Get the Skinny on "Solo a Star Wars Story"
Never thought I'd ever be sitting there watching a Star Wars movie & wishing I wasn't...

Sun May 27, 2018 3:01 am
Editorial Moderator
Editorial Moderator

Code Name: Train
File Name: Mitchell Smith
Aliases: ZAP,
Primary Military Specialty: Heavy Equipment
Secondary Military Specialty: Kung Fu
I thought it was great, you can’t cling to the past Star Wars will always be Star Wars, and this opened up some room to expand on some of the old stories that made them who they are, they as in all the characters in the story, not just Solo, thought they did a good job meshing old with new, and moving the franchise into the present and the future, can’t wait for the sequel

Sun May 27, 2018 8:51 pm
Sneak Peek Photographer
Sneak Peek Photographer

Faction: Red Shadows
Code Name: T'shot
File Name: ????.?????.?
Primary Military Specialty: Photo Reconnaissance
Secondary Military Specialty: Toy Surveillance
Grade: E-2
Sorry but I just didn't enjoy it.. it's technically competent, the cast are O.K., the special effects are fantastic (one would expect no less from a Star Wars movie) & it all moves along at a fair lick but I just couldn't get excited by any of it.

There's nothing here we've not seen before, admittedly done bigger & technically better, but I personally found it hard to really care about any of it.

Mon May 28, 2018 2:27 am
Founder
Founder

Faction: Justice League
Code Name: Man of Steel
Thundershot wrote:
Sorry but I just didn't enjoy it.. it's technically competent, the cast are O.K., the special effects are fantastic (one would expect no less from a Star Wars movie) & it all moves along at a fair lick but I just couldn't get excited by any of it.

There's nothing here we've not seen before, admittedly done bigger & technically better, but I personally found it hard to really care about any of it.

Having read the Han Solo books, it would be hard for anything put to film to match the universe i created in my head while reading those plots. Hollywood has a big problem with character development these days anyway.

ImageImage

Mon May 28, 2018 1:01 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]