SerpentorsLair.info - View topic - G.I.JOE GENERAL DISCUSSION

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:35 pm

Reply to topic  [ 365 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 33, 34, 35, 36, 37  Next
G.I.JOE GENERAL DISCUSSION 
Editoral Moderator
Editoral Moderator

Faction: Cobra Contractor
Code Name: YorktownJoe
File Name: CLASSIFIED
Aliases: YTJ (more acronym than alias)
Primary Military Specialty: Counter-Intelligence
Secondary Military Specialty: Sense o' humor
Grade: O-4
Post Re: G.I.JOE GENERAL DISCUSSION
I'm wondering how dangerous it is to invest capital in figure molds/manufacturing for something that could be a passing fad like Fortnite?
As opposed to a decades long established franchise like G.I.Joe?

Just wondering if they over-saturate supply of toys, if those figures will be on the $2 clearance aisle before Christmas this year?

Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:48 pm
Profile Send private message
Founder
Founder

Faction: Justice League
Code Name: Man of Steel
yorktownjoe wrote:
I'm wondering how dangerous it is to invest capital in figure molds/manufacturing for something that could be a passing fad like Fortnite?
As opposed to a decades long established franchise like G.I.Joe?

Just wondering if they over-saturate supply of toys, if those figures will be on the $2 clearance aisle before Christmas this year?

What i am thinking is, these run $12 for one figure OR $19 for a figure with a modular piece that forms into something. Is that a price point that people would pay for a single 3.5" gi joe figure? That seems insanely high to me. Or is it just me?

Sat Apr 20, 2019 2:51 pm
Founder
Founder

nothing can stop the ROLLING THUNDER!

Wed May 29, 2019 9:48 pm
Founder
Founder

Never had one. Always wanted one.

Wed May 29, 2019 9:52 pm
Founder
Founder

STORMSHADOW__210 wrote:
Never had one. Always wanted one.

Dude, you need to get one its AWESOME! One of my all time favorite vehicles, it is pretty big though.

Wed May 29, 2019 9:53 pm
Founder
Founder

I guess i should probably mention, that it looks like the 'Snake Eyes' movie is dead in the water. Makes me wonder if we will ever see G.I.Joe on the toy shelves again. I was really hoping for 2020, but it looks like thats not going to happen. Which will make it since 2013 that Joes were at regular retailers, so it will be pushing 8 years. A whole generation of kids will have passed since the Retaliation toys were out.

Wed May 29, 2019 9:57 pm
Editoral Moderator
Editoral Moderator

We had the magic trifecta of cartoons, comics, and toys in the 80's.

With all the other things vying for kids attention now, it will take a keen mind to get the brand back on track.

You would need quality toys, a social media advertising campaign, a YouTube channel putting out Resolute length webisodes, but with the friendlier Renegades stories. But these have to be managed by someone with a keen mind that recognizes you can't develop toys 6 months after you pull your webisodes offline. And you can't advertise on social media without a planned target audience.

Retailers put toys out when there is a movie, then clearance them when the movie leaves theaters.

With a brand like G.I.Joe, you want constant shelf space domination, so kids and *ahem* "taller" kids like us have something to check out on shelves.

And control distribution in a way that things are in demand, but also available online without having to go through scalpers.

We landed on the moon 50 years ago. This shouldn't be that difficult with current supply chain technology, a modest business acumen, and knowing your target audience.

But they may be waiting for 80's kids to take their grandkids shopping for Joe's... Not sure if the current brain trust at the big H would even have the attention span to read my post...

Wed May 29, 2019 11:35 pm
Editoral Moderator
Editoral Moderator

Say what you will, but Star Wars toy managers gets it. They have toys for really little kids, plush toys, light sabers and nerf blasters for kids who want to pretend, 3.75, 6", and even bigger figures. They hit ALL the targets, and sometimes release really cruddy toys, and customers still go nuts for them. Sometimes really great toys too.

Wed May 29, 2019 11:36 pm
Founder
Founder

yorktownjoe wrote:
Say what you will, but Star Wars toy managers gets it. They have toys for really little kids, plush toys, light sabers and nerf blasters for kids who want to pretend, 3.75, 6", and even bigger figures. They hit ALL the targets, and sometimes release really cruddy toys, and customers still go nuts for them. Sometimes really great toys too.

The problem with Hasbro and G.I.Joe is they keep announcing things, and then not following through. Things started going downhill with the Resolute animated short, that was widely popular but they refused to follow up on it. Then the bungled release date of the Retaliation movie and toy line, also forgot to mention the 'oversaturation' of toys for the Rise of Cobra movie that turned retailers off to ordering a lot of G.I.Joe for Retaliation. They announce G.I.Joe 3 with the Rock back in 2016, that ended up being a washout, then they make announcements for a Snake Eyes movie and it looks like that now is a washout.

They announced a 'Hasbro Shared Universe' of films with G.I.Joe, Mask and Micronauts, that never happened either. They said they were going to bring everything 'in house' and stay true to these brands, but again nothing.

To be honest i am shocked they pulled off the Bumblebee movie which was actually pretty good.

Mabee they should just create something and finish it, then announce it, it would give them at least a tiny bit of credibility. They have to know their business model has been terrible for several years now. I don't understand how these guys stay employed.

Fri May 31, 2019 2:05 pm
Editoral Moderator
Editoral Moderator

Somewhere in Rhode island...

Maybe right before getting fired, they make up some fake sales numbers, yell "squirrel" and then share an anecdote about an upcoming movie project that they just made up in their brain in desperation.

Then the person about to fire them says, "That could be promising." Turns to marketing and tells them to float a press release to gauge interest. Possibly even name drops a movie Director. Calls the movie Director to tell them their name is getting dropped. The movie Director later uses it to leverage more money for a different project and then cites "scheduling difficulties" when asked about the fictitious project that is now being cancelled/postponed.

Then the person about to get fired, the manager, and the marketing person all go out and drink and don't follow up.

The brand deserves better.

Fri May 31, 2019 2:53 pm
Reply to topic   [ 365 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 33, 34, 35, 36, 37  Next