SerpentorsLair.info - View topic - G.I.JOE GENERAL DISCUSSION

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:47 am

Reply to topic  [ 369 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37  Next
G.I.JOE GENERAL DISCUSSION 
Editoral Moderator
Editoral Moderator

Faction: Cobra Contractor
Code Name: YorktownJoe
File Name: CLASSIFIED
Aliases: YTJ (more acronym than alias)
Primary Military Specialty: Counter-Intelligence
Secondary Military Specialty: Sense o' humor
Grade: O-4
Post Re: G.I.JOE GENERAL DISCUSSION
Is this Copperhead's Lair?
The Dreadnok Drome?

Either way, it's awesome!!

Also, my Copperhead hangs out with my Dreadnoks any time a water mission is undertaken. And especially if the SwampFire is in play. He brings the Water Moccasin to haul more 'Noks through the Swamp.

Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:29 pm
Profile Send private message
Editoral Moderator
Editoral Moderator

protoxero wrote:
STORMSHADOW__210 wrote:
Got my final 12 shipment notice! Pretty bumned out. The end is here for arah carded joes

I looked in to my crystal ball and it showed me... That Joe is not dead and will never be. Joe goes in spurts here for few years then gone for a few. Look at the 12in guys they come and go same as the 4in ones. Joe will be back in some form soon enough. It's always been like this guys. This time is just taking longer. Perhaps a new joe club will be formed an will be a Hasbro run instead of the club or maybe a new club run by a brand new crew. We had Joe's off and on since the sixties why would Hasbro sacrifice a business model that's been great for 50 some years? Remember they like lots of money, or did they just say hey let's screw up 50 years of work guys sound good?!

Totally agree with the timeline comments. I started just before 1982 with "Super Joe." I think they were 8 inch figures and you could push on different part of their backs for karate or punching action. (One side controlled each arm)

After that, Mom got us a couple 12" ones from garage sales. Those dudes were in rough shape with some of their flocked hair missing. So my brother and I each had one Super Joe and one 12" guy.

Then glorious 1982 arrived. And it was good run. Later on, there were issues. Trying to catch and incorporate trends is tricky for the toy business. Lego did well with City and Space themes, and very well with Star Wars. But not every movie franchise or trend works with toys. With neon ninjas, your mileage will vary. Some will love, some will pass.

Great business advice was relayed to me from an older friend. He was advised NOT to change what he was doing to try and copy something trendy someone else was doing. The advice was "Keep doing what you are doing and your core constituents will stick with you. When you try to copy someone popular, you won't be as good at their game as they are. And in the process, you'll annoy and lose some of your core people."

Trying to be everything to everyone won't revitalize the brand. But providing a mix of new and old products in retro packaging can appeal to people who were 80's kids and now are adults with children of their own. The timing trifecta of toys, comics and cartoons may never be reached again. But brand viability is dependent on brand awareness. And completely online marketing with no retail presence is not a pathway to success. Hasbro has struggled with distribution and keeping the timing together, even more recently when they had Renegades cartoons going.

But there will be a comeback. Just curious how the retro-packaging Transformers sales have done?

Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:12 pm
Founder
Founder

Faction: Justice League
Code Name: Man of Steel
yorktownjoe wrote:
protoxero wrote:
STORMSHADOW__210 wrote:
Got my final 12 shipment notice! Pretty bumned out. The end is here for arah carded joes

I looked in to my crystal ball and it showed me... That Joe is not dead and will never be. Joe goes in spurts here for few years then gone for a few. Look at the 12in guys they come and go same as the 4in ones. Joe will be back in some form soon enough. It's always been like this guys. This time is just taking longer. Perhaps a new joe club will be formed an will be a Hasbro run instead of the club or maybe a new club run by a brand new crew. We had Joe's off and on since the sixties why would Hasbro sacrifice a business model that's been great for 50 some years? Remember they like lots of money, or did they just say hey let's screw up 50 years of work guys sound good?!

Totally agree with the timeline comments. I started just before 1982 with "Super Joe." I think they were 8 inch figures and you could push on different part of their backs for karate or punching action. (One side controlled each arm)

After that, Mom got us a couple 12" ones from garage sales. Those dudes were in rough shape with some of their flocked hair missing. So my brother and I each had one Super Joe and one 12" guy.

Then glorious 1982 arrived. And it was good run. Later on, there were issues. Trying to catch and incorporate trends is tricky for the toy business. Lego did well with City and Space themes, and very well with Star Wars. But not every movie franchise or trend works with toys. With neon ninjas, your mileage will vary. Some will love, some will pass.

Great business advice was relayed to me from an older friend. He was advised NOT to change what he was doing to try and copy something trendy someone else was doing. The advice was "Keep doing what you are doing and your core constituents will stick with you. When you try to copy someone popular, you won't be as good at their game as they are. And in the process, you'll annoy and lose some of your core people."

Trying to be everything to everyone won't revitalize the brand. But providing a mix of new and old products in retro packaging can appeal to people who were 80's kids and now are adults with children of their own. The timing trifecta of toys, comics and cartoons may never be reached again. But brand viability is dependent on brand awareness. And completely online marketing with no retail presence is not a pathway to success. Hasbro has struggled with distribution and keeping the timing together, even more recently when they had Renegades cartoons going.

But there will be a comeback. Just curious how the retro-packaging Transformers sales have done?

Fun Fact, Hasbro is now releasing the original late 70s and early 80s Star Wars figures in retro packaging this year. And doing more Transformers in retro packaging. Why they couldn't do the same for G.I.Joe is beyond me. Mabee if we keep our fingers crossed, they will do some in 2020 alongside the Street Fighter Snake Eyes movie figures.

Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:23 pm
Founder
Founder

Thats pretty awesome. I think for junk projects its great but not for a good condition td. In ny display room, i wanna do a nok hq cabin in swamp dio. Logs , trees, swamp acrylic water, gators and swamp bush with campfire and rustic cabin with porch. Think revenge of cobra series

Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:09 pm
Editoral Moderator
Editoral Moderator

Copperhead, Croc Master and Big Boa all help the Noks for me when I need a heavy Nok mission.

Otherwise, the original 3 + Zartan. Monkeywrench, Thasher, and Zandar are next up.

I would love to see your Nok swamp dio if you set it up.

We had massive snow melt at our last place and the back yard flooded. I remember getting a few pics of Croc Master back there before I drained it.

Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:20 am
Editoral Moderator
Editoral Moderator

I got a backup sump pump, a five gallon pail, a garden hose, and an extension cord.

Drilled holes in the bottom and sides of the pail.
Strung the extension cord through tree branches to keep it out of the water.
Put the pump in the pail.
Set my contraption in the deepest part of the flooded yard.

The water seeped into the pail and the pump. But the pail kept the pump from clogging up in the mud and grass.

It ran for 3 days before the water subsided.

We had ducks swimming in it.

After that, we worked with the neighbors and the city to dig a drain back there to keep everyone safe.

Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:25 am
Founder
Founder

So whats new with everyones joe collecting and displays? Im still setting up terrain and vehicles in my room but still no loose joes out.

Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:08 pm
Founder
Founder

Faction: Justice League
Code Name: Man of Steel
STORMSHADOW__210 wrote:
So whats new with everyones joe collecting and displays? Im still setting up terrain and vehicles in my room but still no loose joes out.

Im thinking of swapping out a couple of shelves of RL figures and putting up some vintage joes. I discovered when i was out taking some pics of Recondo i have more 0-rings to replace, so i will probably fix a few up and put them up, i will take some pictures when i do.

Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:14 pm
Founder
Founder

Faction: Gi Joe
Code Name: Protoxero
File Name: Unknowen
Aliases: Proto
Primary Military Specialty: Ninja
Secondary Military Specialty: Covert Opps
Grade: 0-4
STORMSHADOW__210 wrote:

I recently finished my moc modern wall it's pretty nice. Ill have to get some pics sometime.

Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:15 pm
Editoral Moderator
Editoral Moderator

Looking forward to your pictures!

I'm re-habbing my Night Raven. I got a replacement lift piece from another collector. I think I need to gently sand about 1 cm of space where I tried to glue the old lift piece on there about 8 years ago.
When I pulled that out, I noticed a certain part of my Mauler is disintegrating. I'm thinking of selling the good parts off.

I know the motor works and it's clean. But all those gray pieces that hold the bogey wheels on are falling apart. Maybe people will need a motor, a side curtain, engine covers, hatch covers, or bogey wheels?

It's been a while since I posted stuff for sale. Maybe I should hang onto it to trade for other parts of other vehicles I might need.

Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:29 pm
Reply to topic   [ 369 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37  Next