View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:13 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
The FunPub G.I.Joe Conventions - A Retrospective! 
Founder
Founder

Faction: Justice League
Code Name: Man of Steel
This week in Loveland Colorado is the final official G.I.Joe Convention for now, and we thought it would be appropriate, before the Convention gets going, to take a look back at all of the great items that Fun Publications has brought to the fans over the past several years. If you are a fan of G.I.Joe you are going to enjoy this walk down memory Lane. One thing is for certain, if you are a fan of 'sub-teams' the club has given you a lot of great figures to add to your collection down through the years. Here are some of the highlights.

The first Convention 'set' kicked off 14 years ago back in 2002 with the 'Crimson Strike Team'. This set took the concept of the Crimson Guardsmen and added Baroness, Vipers, and the Crimson Guard Commanders, 'Tomax' and 'Xamot' to this 'All Crimson' O-Ring style set.

The second Convention set, 'Operation Anaconda' was the first to introduce all new characters. This set melded the classic o-ring style figures with a duel between The Swamp Vipers and the Black Dragon clan vs Major Storm, Falcon and Lady Jaye!

In 2005, the Convention set brought us one of the best sets of Iron Grenadier figures produced with their 'General Mayhem: M.A.R.S. Invades' set. This set brought us new Iron Grenadiers Characters such as Iron Anvil, and the introduction of 'General Mayhem' into the pantheon of Iron Grenadiers characters. Check out the set below.

In 2012, the G.I.Joe Club released their final O-Ring style figures with their, 'Vacation in the Shadows' box set. This set highlighted the popular International sub team 'Red Shadows'.

There have been 4 other Convention sets since 2012, all in what is known to G.I.Joe collectors as the 'Modern-Era' style figures. Many of these sets were remakes of previous sets, recreating them in modern styles. But the most popular and in my opinion the best of the 'Modern-Era' style convention sets was the 2013, 'Night Force - Nocturnal Fire' set. This set brought back the 'Night Force' which is probably the most popular and hard to find G.I.Joe sub-teams of all time, as well as several Cobra Vipers such as Frag Viper and S.A.W. Viper in new 'Modern-Era' sculpts.

While the 2016 G.I.Joe Convention closes one really nice chapter in G.I.Joe lore, there are still plenty of fans of collecting G.I.Joe action figures still around, and the love for the classic G.I.Joe: A Real American Hero story line has not wavered. It still has a huge fan base. Lets just hope going forward that the executives at Hasbro, who will be taking over control of any future Convention offerings, will remember this when planning future offerings.

Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:39 pm
Profile Send private message
Serpentor's Loyal Cadre
Serpentor's Loyal Cadre

Faction: G.I. Joe
Code Name: Sky-Knight
File Name: Kaine, Darien
Aliases: Gandalf Clarke
Primary Military Specialty: Field commander
Secondary Military Specialty: Computer Analysis and repair
Grade: 0-4
In my opinion, the club has done a great job in bringing us some fantastic modern updates to classic characters. I personally have 3 of the Con sets, including the aforementioned Night Force set, the Python Patrol set from 2011, and the Zombie Initiative set which I bought on sale on Black Friday for $150-(never have I been so excited for a con set to go on sale than I was that day). I also have one of each figure from last year's set which I bought in piecemeal on eBay. They gain a lot of value over time and are some of the best figures I have ever had. On that same note, I have gotten a lot of the FSS figures too and they are also fantastic. I will miss the quality of figures that Fun Pub had made for us. I really hope Hasbro does not drop the ball when they take over the cons. I would like to see at least half the amount of figures that we get in the Con sets come out as yearly exclusives from Hasbro for their Joe portion of their cons and I would like to see them at a reduced cost since they are not coming from a third party. :FR: :S:

Mon Jun 13, 2016 2:14 pm
Founder
Founder

I have only been a club member since 2010. I have very much enjoyed being a member. From the club mags, renewal figures, fss, and the con exclusives. They were more dedicated to GI Joe than Hasbro. I am still sick to my stomach over losing them. Very fortunate to have been able to go the the 2015 Joe Con.

I think my favorite modern set would be the Tiger Force. Was so awesome to actually be there in line to get all my goodies.

Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:02 pm
Founder
Founder

STORMSHADOW__210 wrote:
I have only been a club member since 2010. I have very much enjoyed being a member. From the club mags, renewal figures, fss, and the con exclusives. They were more dedicated to GI Joe than Hasbro. I am still sick to my stomach over losing them. Very fortunate to have been able to go the the 2015 Joe Con.

I think my favorite modern set would be the Tiger Force. Was so awesome to actually be there in line to get all my goodies.

If Hasbro does not lay out some kind of plan for a yearly special figure at minimum at joecon, a lot of people are going to be ticked off.

Tue Jun 14, 2016 12:27 pm
Founder
Founder

Faction: Gi Joe
Code Name: Protoxero
File Name: Unknowen
Aliases: Proto
Primary Military Specialty: Ninja
Secondary Military Specialty: Covert Opps
Grade: 0-4
I think the only set I don't have at least one fig from is the vacation in the shadows.
My favourite set python patrol and crimson guard sets, ofc night force too.

Tue Jun 14, 2016 1:30 pm
Founder
Founder

protoxero wrote:
I think the only set I don't have at least one fig from is the vacation in the shadows.
My favourite set python patrol and crimson guard sets, ofc night force too.

Yeah the red shadows set i really want. Not sure if you can even find any figures from it anymore. I have seen the orange flint a few times.

Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:30 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]