SerpentorsLair.info - View topic - THE POP EXPOSE - 'Star Wars Peg Warmers' by Mitchell Smith!

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue May 22, 2018 1:53 pm

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
THE POP EXPOSE - 'Star Wars Peg Warmers' by Mitchell Smith! 
Founder
Founder

Faction: Justice League
Code Name: Man of Steel
 THE POP EXPOSE - 'Star Wars Peg Warmers' by Mitchell Smith!
What is with all the Rogue One and Force Awakens figures still warming pegs? I was hoping to see some cool new figures in the Star Wars world. The Black Series figures both 6 inch and 3-3/4 were pretty cool, but now retail stores like Target and Walmart are flooded with the same 2 or 3 Rogue one figures and same 2 or 3 Force Awaken figures. Why are they holding on to these so long, they need to clearance them and get some new figures on the pegs.

At what point will they say hey lets get ride of these figures that have been on the pegs for the past couple years, this is crazy these figures need to go away and make room for something new. At the end of last year there was a quick and limited amount of 6 inch figures from The original trilogy and Star Wars Rebel figures, then they disappeared. So maybe it’s not the retailers. Why wouldn’t Disney focus on putting out new figures? I get it with the online retailers, but if Disney put all the Rebels 6” figures in stores people would buy those. The Original Trilogy figures sell themselves, but you have to get them into a Walmart system to make them affordable figures. Getting them at specialty retail stores such as Thinkgeek doesn’t have enough bulk to bring the price into an average person's price range. There are plenty of molds left to use on the Originals. Disney could release Boba Fett, Bespin Luke, or Anakin. Just as a side note I’m not sure why GI Joe has not hopped on the 6 inch figure line?

ImageImage

Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:35 pm
Profile Send private message
Founder
Founder

Post Re: THE POP EXPOSE - 'Star Wars Peg Warmers' by Mitchell Smi
You have to take into account a couple of things here. First, our favorite toy company 'Hasbro' is involved. Second from the looks of things, Walmart over anticipated the popularity of the new Star Wars movies and ordered too much product. Now they are stuck with it. Unfortunately this was a big factor in killing the G.I.Joe line. Walmart ordered so much ROC product that didn't move, when Retaliation came along they didn't order much at all. I think there is oversaturation with Star Wars right now, not to mention a large portion of the fandom does not care for the new movies much. Lets hope that Hasbro gets back to doing more EU and Original Trilogy product soon. That is what appeals to everyone. To be honest our stores around here have not moved much Star Wars either. They have even clearanced some of the Rogue One items and they didn't sell so they just put them back on the toy aisle. And its not just the physical stores either, our sponsor Entertainment Earth has had a ton of Force Awakens and Rogue Items on clearance over and over. My guess is they have a lot of stock that didn't sell.

ImageImage

Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:41 pm
Editoral Moderator
Editoral Moderator

Faction: GIJOE
Code Name: yorktownjoe
File Name: Joe K.
Primary Military Specialty: Counter-Intelligence
Secondary Military Specialty: Sense o' humor
Grade: O-4
I have never bought any 6" figures until this weekend. Hard to pass up Black Series at $5. Things are mostly picked over, and as you mentioned tons of Rogue One. I liked the movie a lot, but not all the figures.

But I got some Death Troopers. For $5, I could probably trade them to a troop builder for something 3.75" scale, Joe or SW. I hate to open them in case I like them and get hooked.

I have been watching those 3.75" Boba Fett and Han Solo 2 packs, but they are firmly attached to
the pegs at about 14.97. I think the Fett looks good, but the Han looks terrible. If that were $5 or $6, it might be worth it to me for the Fett, and the Solo could be given away to a little kid.

Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:38 pm
Founder
Founder

Do you guys think Hasbro's decision to go back to 5 POA on the standard figures has hurt overall sales?

ImageImage

Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:17 am
Editoral Moderator
Editoral Moderator

I think they just have TOO many figures overall. And they need to think about the audience a bit.

[[[I think the rest of my babbling below will focus on 3.75" 5 POA figures, not premium or Black Series figures]]]

"You didn't make ANY Rey's!"
"Your Rey's don't look like Rey!"
"Your Rey's came out 6 months after TFA!"

I don't care, I don't need a Rey, but some people want them, she was a major character, so make some.

Also, for troop builders like Storm troopers or even First Order Storm Stroopers, release 6 packs in a single carded package.
Doesn't have to be fancy, just 6 of the same guy with the same blaster.
If they can stand in a row without tipping over, there are people who will buy them.

And sell 6 packs of the same Stormtrooper for $30, that's $5 a figure. That is plenty for a 5 POA figure with one gun. And it would be like printing money for them.

If they are going to hold the line at $7 to $8 retail for a 5 POA and sell them all single carded, even a dim-witted winged monkey from the Wizard of Oz should be able to figure out that troop builders will get picked over, and individual characters will peg warm. Since the individual characters are still sitting there, the automated inventory control POS (point-of-sale scanner) system doesn't re-order. Without store re-order triggers, the retail chain doesn't re-supply. And when they do, the first troop building hoarder in the door gets all the troop builders.

It is good to have super-articulated figures for adult collectors and 5 POA figures for children, and for those who want less expensive options for figures they want in the background of a scene.

But I don't understand their supply-chain and delivery model. It would be a good grad-school logistics case study model. :-) Or not.

**And my winged monkey reference was for Hasbro middle management, not any fellow collectors reading this. Peace!! :-) **

Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:01 pm
Editoral Moderator
Editoral Moderator

Just saw a new basic 3.75" 5 POA wave restocked. But still at 6.97 at my Walmart.

DJ, Obi Wan, Yoda, Paige, Rose, Luke, Hux.
I had never seen that DJ at retail. But not paying 6.97 for his coat to pass to a Dreadnok.

Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:54 pm
Founder
Founder

yorktownjoe wrote:
Just saw a new basic 3.75" 5 POA wave restocked. But still at 6.97 at my Walmart.

DJ, Obi Wan, Yoda, Paige, Rose, Luke, Hux.
I had never seen that DJ at retail. But not paying 6.97 for his coat to pass to a Dreadnok.

I may be wrong but i think i just saw some restock of the 5 POA in Last Jedi packaging with Jyn Erso. Had me thinking, they didn't sell all the Rogue One figures so now they are selling them in the new packaging. Not sure.

ImageImage

Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:58 pm
Editoral Moderator
Editoral Moderator

⚡ Kal-El ⚡ wrote:
I may be wrong but i think i just saw some restock of the 5 POA in Last Jedi packaging with Jyn Erso. Had me thinking, they didn't sell all the Rogue One figures so now they are selling them in the new packaging. Not sure.

Interesting. Oh, and I forgot, in that 5 POA wave I referenced, there was also a couple black clad General Leia's.

Of the 6" Black Series I have seen at a couple of Wal-Marts for $5 there are rows of Winter Cassian and regular Jyn's and a few brown jacket Finn's.
It is hard to imagine they produced this many figures. I don't even think they will go at $5.
I have been thinking if they were $1 or $2 they might be worth trying to customize. For example, would a Han head fit on that Cassian body to make a pseudo-Hoth Han?

Even still, without a Taun-Taun or injured Hoth Luke, who would be trying to customize that?

To be honest, that winter Cassian body doesn't look too bad, but the head is so MEH, that it's just going to sit there.

Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:07 pm
Editorial Moderator
Editorial Moderator

Code Name: Train
File Name: Mitchell Smith
Aliases: ZAP,
Primary Military Specialty: Heavy Equipment
Secondary Military Specialty: Kung Fu
My Wal-Marts are clearing their product as well, which normally means they are gearing up for some new product, fingers crossed.

Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:23 pm
Founder
Founder

Train wrote:
My Wal-Marts are clearing their product as well, which normally means they are gearing up for some new product, fingers crossed.

Well toy fair is this weekend, so we will get a look at whats in store for this year in a couple of days. So be ready to check out all the goodness i post :+D :+D

ImageImage

Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:51 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next