SerpentorsLair.info - View topic - Outback's Outpost 'zartan' By Mitchell Smith!

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:16 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Outback's Outpost 'zartan' By Mitchell Smith! 
Founder
Founder

Faction: Justice League
Code Name: Man of Steel
 Outback's Outpost 'zartan' By Mitchell Smith!
Welcome to the Outpost, Summer is cruising right along, I hope everyone is enjoying it as much as possible. 1984 was a nice year for G.I. Joe and it introduced a great cobra character, Zartan. Zartan was a pretty interesting character right from the get go. Not only did he need to keep out of the sunlight, he lived in the swamp, and he had the Dreadnoks under him.

Zartan was one of those characters that appeared in a lot of cartoons. He was mysterious and that created a wildly popular character. He did not change a lot during the cartoon, but his family and Dreadnoks grew, and this created a whole new dynamic to Zartan. Over the years Zartan had a number of upgrades but his classic 1984 is one of my favorites of him. Zartan had a big roll in the modern day live action films and there have been several action figures from those movies.

There is a really cool 12 inch Sideshows version of the classic 1984 character that I don’t have but if I ever hit the lotto this one will be on my list LOL. Over all Zartan was a really cool character and stayed popular right up till today. I’m sure all Joe fans can’t wait to get their hands on a 6 inch Zartan. Are you a fan of Zartan? Sound off below and let us know! Make sure to check back for our next discussion.

Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:40 pm
Profile Send private message
Editoral Moderator
Editoral Moderator

Faction: Cobra Contractor
Code Name: YorktownJoe
File Name: CLASSIFIED
Aliases: YTJ (more acronym than alias)
Primary Military Specialty: Counter-Intelligence
Secondary Military Specialty: Sense o' humor
Grade: O-4
Post Re: Outback's Outpost 'zartan' By Mitchell Smith!
I still remember getting this figure. Our Aunt took my brother and me to the store (can't remember if it was Kmart or SS Kresge's).

We were hoping to get one, and she bought us EACH one!! I think she said we could get something for $5 and they were like $4.97. When we brought them back to her house she asked how the color changing worked.

She let us put them in the freezer, but that didn't do anything.

Then we took them outside and it was magical!

Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:54 pm
Founder
Founder

Faction: Justice League
Code Name: Man of Steel
When i first starting collecting joes in 88-89 i was in 5th grade in Christian School in Indiana. I had never even heard about G.I.Joe and there was a kid who turned 16 in our school, and he was selling all his figures to other kids in the school to raise money for a car. I bought a cobra officer and Zartan. Course this Zartan was well played with, and before i had him for a few months one of his lower legs fell off, im guessing the shin peg wore completely off. But he was AWESOME.

My first new zartan came when the Ninja Force Zartan hit and that figure got boatloads of play. Course by that time i was into the comics and Ninja Force Zartan had already made his debut there, so i love that figure even more.

I guess it was around 1998 that i got my first complete original zartan at a comic shop. Im still hoping to one day have a nice unbroken chameleon for him to ride on. But he is definitely in my top 10 favorite characters.

Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:25 pm
Editoral Moderator
Editoral Moderator

Faction: Cobra Contractor
Code Name: YorktownJoe
File Name: CLASSIFIED
Aliases: YTJ (more acronym than alias)
Primary Military Specialty: Counter-Intelligence
Secondary Military Specialty: Sense o' humor
Grade: O-4
My original Zartan ended up losing his thigh pads somewhere along the way. His knees got excessively wobbly over time, and I painted in eyes, which I thought looked menacing at the time. His laser pistol was damaged in a fight with Mom's vacuum cleaner, but I still have the fragment of it.

I acquired a mintier Zartan as a replacement around 2000ish, and all was well.

When my older son was 5 (circa 2006), I let him play with my original floppy Zartan, but he left him out on the floor.
Younger son was 2 and a half.

(Building drama here.)

Yeah, Zartan suffered a severed crotch on the waist piece. But he also got "knee-capped."
The knee joint was broken and his boot was completely missing.

To this day, I still bring that up to our younger son who is now 16.

"Remember that time you ate Zartan's leg?" :hardlaugh1:

Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:14 pm
Editorial Moderator
Editorial Moderator

Code Name: Train
File Name: Mitchell Smith
Aliases: ZAP,
Primary Military Specialty: Heavy Equipment
Secondary Military Specialty: Kung Fu
yorktownjoe wrote:
My original Zartan ended up losing his thigh pads somewhere along the way. His knees got excessively wobbly over time, and I painted in eyes, which I thought looked menacing at the time. His laser pistol was damaged in a fight with Mom's vacuum cleaner, but I still have the fragment of it.

I acquired a mintier Zartan as a replacement around 2000ish, and all was well.

When my older son was 5 (circa 2006), I let him play with my original floppy Zartan, but he left him out on the floor.
Younger son was 2 and a half.

(Building drama here.)

Yeah, Zartan suffered a severed crotch on the waist piece. But he also got "knee-capped."
The knee joint was broken and his boot was completely missing.

To this day, I still bring that up to our younger son who is now 16.

"Remember that time you ate Zartan's leg?" :hardlaugh1:

Good story, memories forever

Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:38 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]