SerpentorsLair.info - View topic - Get the skinny on Avengers: Endgame

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:39 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Get the skinny on Avengers: Endgame 
Editorial Moderator
Editorial Moderator

Faction: neutral
Code Name: classified
File Name: classified
Aliases: skinnyjoefan
Primary Military Specialty: classified
Secondary Military Specialty: classified
 Get the skinny on Avengers: Endgame
SPOILERS AHEAD!!!!! (if you read between the lines)

Before the movie all we heard was how it was 3 hours long, how Captain Marvel fit into the story and would ruin the movie because of the actor’s politics and opinions, how it could not be done or done well, because you know… internet. Anticipation and speculation.
Toss every bit of that aside and be prepared to feel intense emotions. That is if you have seen all 21 movies so far. Because if you haven’t you may want to start now to get the full experience and see just how masterful the Russos brothers, Kevin Feige, and everyone at Marvel Studios are at storytelling. They built an entire universe on several building blocks.

This is the ultimate in comic book adaptation and story crafting. It makes sense how they have done this also. Imagine if this had been a comic book series, no I am not talking about the actual comics that it is based on, I am talking about a series taking place next year with cross overs, and guest appearances, multi issue arcs, the entire bit.

That is what we have here in Avengers Endgame. A decade's worth of comic books. This penultimate film was not as much about character building from movie to movie, although that is a huge part of this, as it was about piecing together story after story to come to one final conclusion.

My take on cinema and stories has always been that a good story will rip you up emotionally. It will take you on highs and lows, it will take the hero from their lowest point to victory. Sometimes that hero won’t get to see the victory. Sometimes they do.

What drives the form of the story? Mythology. It is a pretty cut and dried tale that is centuries old. As long as we could scratch on a cave wall, we have been telling stories. The same seven stories. What makes those stories interesting is indeed the characterization.

We had nearly two dozen movies to get us to like these characters. To make us want to see what happens to them. To live through them vicariously. To ride along with them on the journeys. Characters that have been around since the 1940's and re-envisioned multiple times over by several artisans.

These are not just people who have powers, they are people. Avengers: Endgame and in fact all the Marvel movies excel at showing us they are people. Marvel movies don’t showcase the powers, those are tools. It is what is done with those tools that matters. These people have lives and families, they are characters we can identify with and see parallels in our own lives and tragedies.

These people have the principles we aspire to have. They are compelled to do what is right, even at their own expense.
Evil, does what they have to do to reach their goals at the expense of others. There is rarely a sacrifice on the part of evil. Thanos actually did sacrifice the only thing he loved to reach his goal. That adds another layer to his character than pure evil. His motives are pure, but misguided and cold. Calculating. In the end we see that he will indeed consider himself akin to a God to reach his goal.

I won’t go into great detail about the movie There is just so much cram packed into that three hours to even begin to discuss accurately or completely.

I was sitting there, and I was fighting back tears, I was smirking, I was laughing under my breath, my mind was racing, I was tense in my seat. It was everything I hope for in a movie.

Sat May 04, 2019 12:55 pm
Profile Send private message
Founder
Founder

Faction: Justice League
Code Name: Man of Steel
Post Re: Get the skinny on Avengers: Endgame
This is just why as a kid i enjoyed reading Marvel Comics over DC. Mainly because the writing took time to show the superheros as people. There was humanity not just a super powers. That said Endgame was perfect, i had very little i could complain about leaving the theater. They showed us all of the humanity of the characters, even Thor who isn't even a human was frail, it was just perfect.

Sun May 05, 2019 10:51 am
Editorial Moderator
Editorial Moderator

Code Name: Train
File Name: Mitchell Smith
Aliases: ZAP,
Primary Military Specialty: Heavy Equipment
Secondary Military Specialty: Kung Fu
I agree perfect balance and was I the only one at the end of three hours saying that’s all, this should have been 4 hours

Sun May 05, 2019 12:48 pm
Founder
Founder

Faction: Justice League
Code Name: Man of Steel
Train wrote:
I agree perfect balance and was I the only one at the end of three hours saying that’s all, this should have been 4 hours

Im also really glad Captain Marvel had a minimal role, not just because i hate brie larson, but because this was not her story, this was about the original avengers.

Also, i know a lot of people were angry that Cap went back and changed Peggy's history, but as a huge Captain America fan i think the way they handled ending his characters run was PERFECT!

Sun May 05, 2019 1:41 pm
Editoral Moderator
Editoral Moderator

Faction: Cobra Contractor
Code Name: YorktownJoe
File Name: CLASSIFIED
Aliases: YTJ (more acronym than alias)
Primary Military Specialty: Counter-Intelligence
Secondary Military Specialty: Sense o' humor
Grade: O-4
The movie was well crafted, and I enjoyed it.

Wed May 15, 2019 12:12 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]