SerpentorsLair.info - View topic - Ray Park not to be cast for G.I.Joe: Snake Eyes

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:49 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
Ray Park not to be cast for G.I.Joe: Snake Eyes 
Editorial Moderator
Editorial Moderator

Faction: neutral
Code Name: classified
File Name: classified
Aliases: skinnyjoefan
Primary Military Specialty: classified
Secondary Military Specialty: classified
 Ray Park not to be cast for G.I.Joe: Snake Eyes
In a striking but not unsurprising announcement today, actor Ray Park who played Snake Eyes in both Rise of Cobra and Retaliation will not reprise his role.

Ray Park would not be appropriate for the part because it is an origin story.
Lorenzo DiBonaventura revealed today.

https://www.slashfilm.com/snake-eyes-spin-off-actor/

Quote:
“Probably not, because we are going to the origin story,” Di Bonaventura said. “As you know in the comic book, you saw his face. And it is, I’ll say, the formation of a hero. So you’ve got to see somebody and it can’t be Ray’s age, unfortunately.”

That statement alone is a bit worriesome because in the comic you actually did not see Snake Eyes' face. You saw the lower half and it was very shaded.
For the time he spent at the Arashikage school, Snake eyes wore a black gi and you did not see his face.

One thing that this also confirms is that this will not be a complete reboot with the character Dawn Moreno.
It will indeed be the character that we were introduced to in 1982.

Will all the movie universe be swept away?

In the movie universe, The death of the Hard Master, the age of Snake Eyes at that time, and much of his origin was vastly different from that of the comic.
To preserve those elements would be difficult.

The other thing is what military conflict (if any) will be used?
Vietnam? Iraq? Afghanistan? Borovia? Benzheen?

Many unanswered questions that we won't know more about until set pictures start leaking out.

Ray Park played Snake Eyes admirably. It is unfortunate but understandable why he would not be cast.
As we all know, it could be anyone under that balaclava.

Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:55 pm
Profile Send private message
Editoral Moderator
Editoral Moderator

Faction: GIJOE
Code Name: yorktownjoe
File Name: Joe K.
Primary Military Specialty: Counter-Intelligence
Secondary Military Specialty: Sense o' humor
Grade: O-4
Post Re: Ray Park not to be cast for G.I.Joe: Snake Eyes
I was a bit bummed to read that, but it makes sense if you want to make an origin story.

In the back of my mind, I wonder if the Bumblebee film will cameo the Joe team in, to begin blending the Hasbro universe? Could that build for the future? Even a subtle one sided phone call could do. "General, have the Joe team ready in case this situation goes South."

I would like to see Ray Park be involved as Snake-Eyes in some future project since he actually cares about the character, and not just the physical martial arts of his motion.

https://comicbook.com/movies/amp/2018/1 ... l-spinoff/

But unlike voice actors for cartoons, live action films are limited by the appearance of the actors and actresses. It's not really great, but it is what it is.

Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:17 pm
Profile Send private message
Founder
Founder

Faction: Cobra
Code Name: Andrea
Aliases: Drea, Bloodthirst
Post Re: Ray Park not to be cast for G.I.Joe: Snake Eyes
It is kind of sad, Ray Park did a great job of taking 'Snake Eyes' to kids when he had the opportunity, and he is really great about visiting sick and disabled kids. I hate to see him go.

Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:43 pm
Profile Send private message YIM
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]