SerpentorsLair.info - View topic - G.I.Joe and animation

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:27 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
G.I.Joe and animation 
Editorial Moderator
Editorial Moderator

Faction: neutral
Code Name: classified
File Name: classified
Aliases: skinnyjoefan
Primary Military Specialty: classified
Secondary Military Specialty: classified
 G.I.Joe and animation
In the past couple days the internet has blown apart with the news presented by Entertainment Weekly of a new Thundercats series to be shown on Cartoon Network.
Since that topic is already covered let us think a bit about how this trend might affect G.I.Joe which it has been mentioned in past Hasbro investor meetings, will be re-branded.
To be clear, G.I. Joe is not even a blip on Hasbro's entertainment radar right now. An animated series could be possible but not until we get to 2020's re-emergence with a third G.I. Joe movie which will be a reboot and a newly announced Snake Eyes spinoff movie.

Hasbro tried to go the cute route more than once before with Combat Heroes, a companion line to their successful Star Wars and marvel figure lines and more.

Then came Mighty Muggs:

Then they tried the micro figures:

They licensed out the property and we were given cute style figs again with Loyal Subjects:

and yet again more licensing with some Funko offerings:

I feel that should they go this route again the best option that has presented itself is by Art Baltazar:

To change the visual appearance of GIJOE is hardly a new idea and even some fan art has great potential:
From 2011:

Chris Tupa:

and an artist I commissioned myself for quite a few pieces who does a very good Batman TAS style RIck Celis:

What kind of animation style would you like to see? Try to think of one that appeals to several generations.
If we do see a newly animated form of entertainment, which would be more important to you?
A story driven style? or more like the current fare, a series of short clips loosely tied together, but more like a series of comedy sketches?

Chime in below!

Sat May 19, 2018 11:31 am
Profile Send private message
Founder
Founder

Faction: Justice League
Code Name: Man of Steel
Post Re: G.I.Joe and animation
Don't want to poop on the picnic here but hasbro did once commission the perfect animation for the brand once upon a time. The story could be more 'kid friendly' i.e. nix all the killing, but as far as the animation goes, i am not sure anyone could do better.

Sat May 19, 2018 2:28 pm
Editorial Moderator
Editorial Moderator

Faction: neutral
Code Name: classified
File Name: classified
Aliases: skinnyjoefan
Primary Military Specialty: classified
Secondary Military Specialty: classified
You aren't pooping on the party but you are going way off topic.

The subject is what they should do if they decide to go into a new direction aimed at kids and in the style of current animation trends.

Sat May 19, 2018 3:19 pm
Founder
Founder

Faction: Justice League
Code Name: Man of Steel
skinny wrote:
You aren't pooping on the party but you are going way off topic.

The subject is what they should do if they decide to go into a new direction aimed at kids and in the style of current animation trends.

Based on the flood of detest and hate that has been spewing from all of the geek groups i follow on facebook, the company making the new Thundercats had better hope the 2-8 year olds really like it, because the adults don't seem to want it on their TV's. I thought the new Ninja Turtles cartoon was poorly received a few weeks ago but after reading the comment sections and all of the memes on social media for Thundercats this level of hate takes the cake.

Although, Disney should give the company making the new Thundercats a paycheck, because it took the nerd web's anger and hate away from 'Solo' for a day or two....lol.

As for G.I.Joe, i just would really rather see Hasbro put it to bed permanently than see something similar to the new Thundercats done to the brand. As a Transformers fan i have seen some of the hideous cartoons that have come down the pipe from Hasbro for it over the past several years and even if i was a 6 year old i don't think i would watch them. An exception to that was Transformers Prime, which my entire family watched ever episode when it was on.

I guess if i had to choose something as a modernization for G.I.Joe it would have to be Transformers Prime. The animation was not my favorite but it didn't look like it was drawn by a preschooler either. More importantly the story was really well written and kept you coming back for more. Mabee some of the rest of you guys have a better idea for a new G.I.Joe animation. That is the best i can come up with.

Sat May 19, 2018 5:40 pm
Serpentor's Lair Princess
Serpentor's Lair Princess

Faction: Cobra
Code Name: Lair Princess
File Name: Harley Quinn
Aliases: Gopher
I liked G.I.Joe Renegades. It made me mad when they cancelled it then took the Hub away. We used to watch the Hub every night.

Sat May 19, 2018 7:41 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]