SerpentorsLair.info - View topic - THE POP EXPOSE RIP Joe Morgan and Conchata Ferrell By MS!

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:17 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
THE POP EXPOSE RIP Joe Morgan and Conchata Ferrell By MS! 
Founder
Founder

Faction: Justice League
Code Name: Man of Steel
 THE POP EXPOSE RIP Joe Morgan and Conchata Ferrell By MS!
Holy Crap, October is flying by, I hope everyone is doing well. This week I have a double feature to honor 2 greats we lost last week. Baseball legend Joe Morgan and actress Conchata Ferrell. Joe Morgan played second base and was most famous for being part of the Big Red Machine. The nickname given to the Cincinnati Reds in the 70’s. Joe was born in 1943 and passed away October 11th. Joe played 21 years in the Majors winning 2 World Series and 2 MVP awards in 1975 and 1976 with the Reds.

He went into broadcasting when he retired and spent a number of years into the late 90s calling games. Although I got into baseball well after Joe had retired I remember him announcing and his legacy as one of the all-time greatest second basemen and the legacy of The Big Red Machine left on baseball was still very much alive when I started watching. Joe was a stand-up guy and he will be missed in the baseball world. Switching gears to Ferrell who is best known for her comic roll as Berta on Two and a Half Men.

Ferrell was also born in 1943 and passed October 13th. She had a number of rolls from the 70s, 80s, and 90s, but landed the roll of Berta in 2003 where she played Berta the dry, unexcitable housekeeper, for the span of the show that ended in 2015. Ferrell was perfect for the roll of Berta and I got a good number of belly laughs from the character. It was sad to see the show end and I was sad to hear the news of her passing. Both Farrell and Morgan had a huge impact on their respective worlds and both will be missed. Rest in Peace.

Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:11 am
Profile Send private message
Editoral Moderator
Editoral Moderator

Faction: Cobra Contractor
Code Name: YorktownJoe
File Name: CLASSIFIED
Aliases: YTJ (more acronym than alias)
Primary Military Specialty: Counter-Intelligence
Secondary Military Specialty: Sense o' humor
Grade: O-4
Post Re: THE POP EXPOSE RIP Joe Morgan and Conchata Ferrell By MS
I saw highlights of Joe Morgan, but never saw him actually playing live on TV.

But I will never forget his smooth voice as he dropped baseball knowledge to us as listeners.

Explaining why the shift works against some batters and not at all against other hitters. And inter-mingling an occasional tale of years gone by without sounding like a befuddled old man.

Always a gentleman, in the 90's he would say things like "I had the privilege of playing with (or against) his father" while calling a game. He understood the great privilege of playing baseball and truly enjoyed the game.

Sad to hear he is gone.

Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:45 am
Founder
Founder

Faction: Justice League
Code Name: Man of Steel
Post Re: THE POP EXPOSE RIP Joe Morgan and Conchata Ferrell By MS
yorktownjoe wrote:
I saw highlights of Joe Morgan, but never saw him actually playing live on TV.

But I will never forget his smooth voice as he dropped baseball knowledge to us as listeners.

Explaining why the shift works against some batters and not at all against other hitters. And inter-mingling an occasional tale of years gone by without sounding like a befuddled old man.

Always a gentleman, in the 90's he would say things like "I had the privilege of playing with (or against) his father" while calling a game. He understood the great privilege of playing baseball and truly enjoyed the game.

Sad to hear he is gone.

I am with you. I always loved listening to Joe Morgan as an announcer. Someone who really understood the game, and not just a talking head with a mic. There are too many people calling sports that are like listening to paint dry nowadays.

Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:32 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]